Thursday, June 08, 2006

Who made what "deal"? Who's a Liar?

People have asked what caused me to get mad at Alder Brandon at Tuesday night's Common Council meeting and ask "Are you calling me a liar?" . . . so I thought I would explain . . .

Apparently, several people made some "deal" about not fixing IZ piecemeal. I was never one of those people. In fact, I didn't know that some people explicitly made that deal. I knew people were talking about it and on May 2nd, I even argued why we shouldn't fix the ordinance piecemeal and why we should move forward with fixing the equity model. In summary, there are people who are waiting for the equity model to get fixed to purchase an IZ home. It is the most common call I have gotten from people looking at IZ homes. The equity model is not tied to other portions of the ordinance. We have a solution and there is no harm done by fixing the ordinance and letting people purchase homes. We should have passed the change on Tuesday.

The most absurd/only argument made about not making the changes piecemeal is that people like me wouldn't be motivated to make the IZ changes if we changed only some things. Um . . . some people like me just want an ordinance that works. Removing the Brandon equity model is just one piece of what needed to be changed. Fixing the Brandon incentive model is another, and then there is always that pesky marketing loophole. There is plenty of motivation to keep working on the ordinance. Not everyone is just looking to score political points, for some of us the bottom line is getting an ordinance that works and get people into the few homes that have actually gotten to the point where someone would consider purchasing them.

Anyways, I hope Alder Brandon will apologize for erroneously publicly questioning my integrity, but I won't hold my breath. He'll do whatever he needs to do to score his political point. Meanwhile, thanks to Alder Golden and the Mayor for backing me up and telling the Citty Council that they didn't believe I had made some "deal". I didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home